Thursday, March 25, 2010

Website Rational

The premise of my website is to thank The Rotary Youth Exchange Program. In order to do this, I decided to show viewers pictures of my exchange that show the great memories I had. I created an online exhibition by using my flickr photos and dream weaver. I also wanted anyone that was viewing my site to know where I took the photo.
My heading was created in Photoshop. I took photos from my collection that had an American flag and used them to make a heading. I also used Photoshop to create the ears on either side of the map.
I wanted the information about exchange to be readily accessible to site viewers, so I incorporated a link to the International Rotary Youth Exchange Program website through the words “The Rotary Youth Exchange Program.”
I used css to stylize my webpage making the background black and the text white.
I then uploaded 190 photos onto flickr and gave each of them a heading and a geotag. I also wrote descriptions for some of the photos that required an explanation.
My first approach was very simple: I had all the photos tagged with “tatsuyarotaryyouthexchangetoamerica,” A tag that no one else in the world would have. Then I made a simple yahoo pipe that had a flickr attachment. I asked for 190 photos of “tatsuyarotaryyouthexchangetoamerica,” but none of my photos came up.
On my second attempt, I asked my tutor Ben to help me with my dilemma. He found a more complicated pipe that required the rss feed to my facebook set of photos. The pipe started off with a fetch feed that required my facebook to set rss, which led to a filter, which, in turn, led to a location extractor. When out-putted, the photos came up as a list but it only showed the last 20 of the 190 photos that I had uploaded. When I asked for the photos on the map, one photo came up and placed it in the middle of Australia, even though its geotag should have placed it in Los Angeles Airport.
I also asked for Michael’s help but even he was having trouble with it. I looked through various yahoo pipes and multiple blogs that had stated that they had the solution to my problem but they didn’t. I went back to Ben’s yahoo pipe and started investigating why only 20 photos were coming up. It was flickr that was creating the problem was that the photostream only let 20 photos accessible at a time unless I upgraded to flickr pro. I then made sets of 20 and added each rss feed to the fetch feed. Once I put that through around 15 of the photos came up in there right geotagged positions. Just as I though everything was going well, when I took the embedded code and placed it in my website only 6 photos came up on the map.
After a lot of cursing and pulling of the hair I have given up on the flickr+google maps mashup. I really wished it had worked. It sort of did in the end. I just don’t get how I lost close to 180 photos in a few steps. If anyone wants to tell me what went wrong please feel free to show me how to fix my yahoo pipe http://pipes.yahoo.com/pipes/pipe.info?_id=951d7738e397daff5aea9602124cba07. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment